Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dawn Redwoods



Last year during fall a beautiful Dawn Redwood was cut down on the school property where I work. I was devastated because it was such a careless mistake. Dawn Redwoods have an interesting history with our region and at one time they thought to be extinct. So, after having a few words with the man who cut down this giant of a tree I scavenged to find some seeds and I thought it would be cool to try and grow one myself. I planted the seeds awhile back and nothing happened. In my research, I read not to be disappointed if not one seed germinated. I hadn't given up on the idea of growing my own Dawn Redwood, I still have more seeds. But one week ago I decide to park my car down in the area where the beautiful Dawn Redwood stood for more than 70 years plus and to my surprise I spotted a little Dawn Redwood growing. I ran up to the office and told my friend Mo come down and see what I discovered. While were looking over the area we must have counted seven little Dawn Redwoods trees. I hope to inherit one of these little beauty's - see for yourself!

No comments: